Monday, January 4, 1999

Wobegon Boy

by Garrison Keillor

The narrator, a man from Lake Wobegon, moves to New York to work at a public radio station, and meets the love of his life.  And meanwhile, life happens: his father dies, he is fired, his restaurant idea fails as the developer appropriates the land, etc.  In other words, there’s not much of a plot per se, but slice after slice of life.  I must say, I’m surprised at how much I like this book.  Sure, I rebel against what I perceive as Keillor’s good ol’ Middle America anti-periphery values, but I must say that this book is laugh-out-loud funny.  Keillor truly excels at telling the weird, fantastic life stories of everyday, normal characters.  Everyone has at least one story to tell in this book – and the best part is, they’re all funny.

four stars

No comments:

Post a Comment